- 00:00 Introduction
- 15:30 Doing, not just talking
- 22:40 Togetherness, a radical idea
- 29:50 Freedom to be the authentic you
- 35:06 Back to the Stone Age?
- 48:05 The importance of language in creating change
- 53:53 Imagine a bowl of spaghetti
- 1:17:02 Who gives you courage?
- 1:22:00 Surrender to what wants to happen
If we let our imagination run free, what kind of a future do we see 25 years from now? What does the world look like? Does humanity fulfill the aspirations and dreams that inspire the current generation of searchers and activists striving to create a brighter future?
There is a growing network of visionaries active today that is pooling their deep passion and expansive experience with a range of social movements to have that same look into the future. Society 2045 is bringing together the intelligence and inspiration to imagine a compelling future vision and the regenerative pathways that can turn powerful ideas into real transformation.
This “motley crew,” as they call themselves, of accomplished thinkers and doers begin with a simple premise: the planet has reached a tipping point in time where all things we can imagine about the future are possible. Instead of surrendering to the dystopian future vision often offered by science fiction, why not create the kind of positive future we would want for humanity?
In weekly conversations, Society 2045 and their guests explore new possibilities emerging in this time of global crises and change (see their conversation with Aviv Shahar below). Here on Portals they reveal some of their inspirations, insights and ongoing ponders:
- We can seed future possibilities today that will prevent the need for a broad collapse of civilization
- We have at our disposal a destructive force so powerful that unless we facilitate wisely this next transition, the natural regressive pattern could take us back to the Stone Age
- A compelling future vision carries with it the feelings, confidence, belief, and energy that answer the question ‘how’
- What’s ‘radical’ is the consistent vision for togetherness and creating community that’s appearing; breaking down the barriers in society and institutions
- Our challenge is that everybody thinks they have the answer when, in truth, everybody has a piece of the answer
- The language we use, metaphors we apply, models we build, are the infrastructure that enable the future to emerge through us
- How do we celebrate each person’s authenticity as an individual and still live together and collectively care for the planet?
- Moral and behavioral courage is seen in people who aren't sitting back and complaining, but doing something, whatever that may mean
This conversation is part of the continuing Portals discovery into what is emerging on the frontiers of human experience in this time of profound change. Information about upcoming special events can be found on the Events page. Also visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
The way I like to think about it is that before there wasn't the level of urgency in terms of planetary concerns, in terms of resources, in terms of climate change, in terms of people just being kind of fed up with the way things are. But here we are, and the tipping point that we have reached is how all of what we're talking about is possible at this moment in time.