In many Portals conversations we explore the nature and meaning of what some people describe as expanded or greater consciousness — experiencing directly higher levels of intelligence and creativity than are ordinarily accessible through physical senses; connecting and communing with the universal source of cosmic or divine inspiration and purpose.
The paths through history to expanded awareness or deeper levels of spiritual awakening are almost as varied as humans themselves: meditation and spiritual practices; physical ecstasy; hypnosis, and mind-altering substances found in nature or the laboratory.
In this conversation, we follow the unique journey of awakening and transformation of Professor Christopher M. Bache, who explored the nature of consciousness through the clinical use of LSD in a 20-year study. Chris chronicles his experiences, perceptions, and thoughts about the future of humanity in his book LSD and The Mind of the Universe: Diamonds from Heaven. Chris currently is professor emeritus in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Youngstown State University.
Chris and Aviv Shahar take a deeper look at the premise of an intelligent and purposeful universe that actually seeks communion with the human species, and the moment of peril now facing humanity and the planet.
Among their insights:
- Our entire species and the development of this planet, in this solar system, in this galaxy, are all part of an exquisite purposeful systematic unfolding of this creative intelligence.
- The universe wants altered human consciousness to permeate all levels of physical reality so it can experience us in a richer, higher fidelity, higher quality, kind of way.
- There are no victims here, only saints and volunteers who have chosen to participate in the historic transformation of this time. Every person here deserves our respect.
- Spiritual visionaries of different lineages come to the same conclusion: evolution is speeding up, and humanity is at a pivot point of instability; we grow up, or probably go extinct.
- We have entered a phase of collective awakening; we may be able to go through an accelerated journey in one lifetime if we engage and participate in the evolutionary process.
- We generate energy by making choices, and the universe responds to the energy. In complex and subtle ways, we are always creating our own experiences.
This conversation is part of the continuing Portals discovery into what is emerging on the frontiers of human experience in this time of profound change. Information about upcoming special events can be found on the Events page. Also visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
What I found is that by dissolving into the deeper levels of my own mind, I opened beyond my personal existence into the mind of the universe itself. Repeating that process over and over again through many years, I came into communion with an intelligence that was profound, just extraordinarily brilliant, vast beyond imagination, and compassionate beyond measure.