The popular concept of emotional intelligence only begins to scratch the surface of understanding the true nature and power of the human emotion.
Emotions can uplift and heal and transform a life or relationship. They can also inflict and become self-destructive; lead us to either our salvation or downfall. Some people believe the emotion plays a central role in human evolution. Why is an energy so powerful and personal often so unpredictable and seemingly hard to manage?
A clue is in the word: “emotion” comes from a Latin derivative meaning “energy in motion”. Emotion isn’t static; it creates energetic pathways connecting people with themselves, with one another, with their communities, and the universe. The real emotion problem is not emotion itself; it’s how we use the most powerful energy naturally generated by our human design.
In this new episode of “Current Openings: What the World Doesn’t Quite Get Yet”, Aviv Shahar and David Price Francis delve deeper into the nature, mystery, and larger potential of human emotions. The conversation adds a new chapter to the unfolding story of the human predicament.
Among their insights:
- A species guarantees its continuance more through tribal arrangements than just individual DNA. It’s the logic of why human emotions are a self-preservation technology.
- The emotion that evolved in humans engenders the capacity to care, share, and bond — the qualities that nudge and lead us to collaborate and work together.
- There are dimensions in the universe that need higher human sensitivity and resonance. It’s logical the universe would support the emergence of compassionate life that's more like itself than not.
- Summoning the emotion is engaging the most powerful energy we have access to. It can be overwhelming if not used wisely. The balance is found in living in harmony with the emotion.
- We're not victims of our emotions; we can elevate our understanding and use the emotions as objects of purpose inside the theater of our experience.
- Emotional energy can be very potent healing; seeking with our minds to harness the heart-centered energy and move together to a particular purpose, like healing another person.
This conversation builds on concepts and insights first explored in The Energy Problem. It is part of the continuing Portals discovery into what is emerging on the frontiers of human experience in this time of profound change. Information about upcoming special events can be found on the Events page. Also visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
The selfish gene myth has been disproven in the sense that the way for the species to guarantee its continuance is more through the tribal arrangement than just through individual DNA. That is what I would describe as the bottom-up story and logic as to why the emotional property is being developed. Consider emotion part of the self-preservation technology.